Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Canoeing. Sightseeing. Surfing.

First things first, I am in shock it is December as of tomorrow. Wow. It’s almost Christmas time! I was reminded of this today when in spin class the instructor played a Christmas song. Oh my. Anyways, I am kind of combining two posts into one to avoid getting really behind again so below is a combo of two different weekends - even though it would be pretty cool if all this took place in one weekend I have to admit that I think even I would be exhausted.
Kowie Canoe Trip
I truly don’t think there are many greater things in life than being surrounded by the sheer beauty of the outdoors, especially in Africa. I recently had the privilege of spending an entire weekend canoeing and staying out in almost the middle of nowhere. It was divine. I went canoeing on the Kowie River, about 20 km to get to the place we slept at, then 20 km back then next day. We had a big braai (south african term for bbq) with three different meats, (only one was slightly questionable, lol) then sat out on the dock and enjoyed the mesmerizing sounds of the African animals. I have never experienced such varying and resounding sounds of animals like I did this evening, it was truly an amazing African experience.

Our canoe ride back the next morning really put a cherry on top of the African experience . We hit the jackpot. Just when we were so excited to see a big group of Zebras, out walks a Giraffe. It casually sauntered out of the bushes, as if it intentionally wanted to steal the attention away from the zebras. And it worked. It just stood there staring at us and we stood there staring at it…reciprocal feelings I suppose?

Sightseeing & Surfing
Moving onto perhaps a bit less of an African experience, yet still worth acknowledging, is my weekend of the botany walk and surfing.  Saturday morning Michelle and I rose bright and early for a “botany walk”. Quick background: Michelle works in the University Botany department so all of her friends are botanists and they were going to do field work and a walk on Saturday morning to identify different vegetation. Somehow I was convinced to come along…hmm. Jokes. Overall it was good and now I am that much more informed of S.African and invasive vegetation, maybe just don’t quiz me though.  The afternoon we got a ride out to Jeffery’s Bay (a world renowned surf spot) and stayed out there so we could be up bright and early for a real attempt at surfing! Attempt = success. Every few years I have the opportunity to go surfing and it never fails to amaze me how extremely challenging yet rewarding it is. The downside with going so rarely is my lack of progress, every time is like my first time again. Other than clear memories of breathing, drinking and plummeting in salt water, it’s mostly all new to me. Maybe this year will be my chance to progress, you never know...              
Post-surf: we've already turned hardcore, haha

No comments:

Post a Comment