Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Yoga on the beach. Check.

Rental car. Check.  Picturesque view of the ocean. Check.  Attempting to surf.  Ha, check. What more can a gal ask for?  I’m pretty sure I just had a weekend of paradise.  Long story still quite long, here it goes. We (Mike, my roommate/colleague and Michelle, another fellow Canadian colleague, and I) decided to plan a weekend trip to the coast, so we rented a car and beach cottage and were on our way Friday evening to a town called Port Alfred, about an hour away. This also meant the moment of truth was quickly approaching. Time for me to learn to drive on the left hand side of the road with the stick shift to the left of me. Oh boy, my tummy was nervous, but  once I could cover the basics, ie. Drive on the left and doing everything the opposite, it turned out to be so much fun!
We spent two nights in Port Alfred. Our place was only minutes from the beach and had a gorgeous view, in fact, not to be cliché but it had a breathtaking view, hard to capture on camera. The beach was beautiful and just to be on the coast again was such a treat. Saturday morning the sun was shining in so intensely that we were all awake by 6 a.m.! Michelle and I decided to do yoga on the beach bright and early and what a surreal experience. Back home I have a power yoga DVD and the whole video is shot on the beach and everytime I used to watch it I’d be jealous of the yogis…ha,  guess not anymore.
Afterwards we drove to town and did a bit of shopping, also very fun! And we got yummy coffee and freshly baked muffins, double yum. This in itself is a fantastic enough of a day, but more amazingly is that all of this was accomplished before 10:30 am. (keeners). We then drove to another place called Kleinemonde where our friend was staying and he hooked us up with two surfboards and a bogey board and sent us on our way to fend for ourselves in the intense waves and wind. Intense wind is actually an understatement. Hectic hurricane wind is a better description. Have you ever been to the beach in hurricane winds? I strongly advise against it. I really regret not getting a picture of Mike, but his eyebrows were so ingrained with sand that he looked like an old man turning grey, hilarious. Not so hilarious though is trying to surf in it. Better luck next time is enough said.

No comments:

Post a Comment