Monday, February 14, 2011

A love for Hamburg


An early morning view from where I live of the Keiskamma River
Since it's Valentines Day I decided it would be suitable to talk love, so here I go. I have fallen for a place called Hamburg (not the one in Germany, but it does have German roots) where I've been living for almost a month. Tucked away in the Eastern Cape corner of where the ocean and the mouth of the Keiskamma River collide, the stunning views and never ending rolling sand dunes could win over anyone’s heart. Besides the immaculate natural beauty, Hamburg has a lot more going for it. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are many development projects here, in particular the Keiskamma Trust, who have made a significant impact on the livelihoods of those living in the community, particularly in the health, arts and education streams. With above the national averages for AIDS and unemployment rates, there is much that can be improved here, although the work that has been done here by the Keiskamma Trust has more than changed lives. The NGO I am working for is interested in a partnership with the Keiskamma Trust, as well as the association between the marine environment and those who subsist on it in Hamburg, and ultimately what can be done to improve the current situation. In part with the work of the NGO I am also doing a project on the social and environmental impacts of tourism in the community and local economic development. There is a lot of potential for tourism and I am curious to know what locals think of it and whether they view it as an opportunity they could leverage or whether there’s a negative connotation towards it. I have looked into the concepts of pro-poor tourism and eco-tourism, both interesting and interrelated concepts that could be incorporated into a place like Hamburg. 
Anyways, have plenty more to share but it will have to wait. Until then a Happy Valentines Day and lots of love to those who have supported me through this little journey, it means so much. xoxo

Student's at a presentation our NGO was giving

No comments:

Post a Comment